The castle with its spiral staircases, painted beamed ceilings, stone vaulted rooms and thick walls is full of atmosphere. It offers stunning self catering accommodation for discerning guests - whether looking to stay for a family reunion or a celebration. The period detail is everywhere and yet you have comfortable warm bedrooms, plenty of bathrooms and splendid public rooms to make you comfortable. The Castle comprises of the 1449 Tower House sleeping 4(+4) and the slightly later Manor House built in 1528 which sleeps a further 8 (+2) people.
Further details indoors:
- Situated over 3 floors the accommodation in this part of the Castle offers flexibility and comfort .
- The Ground floor houses the fully equipped, modern Kitchen.
- The Medieval Hall, on the first floor, is a large room with many original 15th century features inc a carved stone fireplace.The Celtic designs painted on the beams and ceiling depict the story of the Castle’s history inc the Battle of Bannockburn.
- All bedroom accommodation is on the second floor comprising of a double bedroom and twin bedroom. Both these bedrooms feature beautifully exposed stone walls and beams and the double room also has a beautifully arched window seat with views across the rolling open countryside.
- On the third floor stands the commanding Edwardian Crown Room added in 1908. The 21 windows give 360 degree panoramic views over seven counties.This room has TV and DVD , comfortable seating for 8 guests and a Jotul wood burning stove.It is possible to sleep a further 4 guests on futons in this room.
- The Manor House circa 1523 is an impressive self catering property over 3 floors.
- The ground floor offers 3 vaulted rooms: the Vaulted Sitting room with TV and DVD;The Vaulted Dining Room with seating for 10 people and the Vaulted Medieval Kitchen which is fully equipped with all mod cons such as microwave, dishwasher, washing machine etc
- On the first floor you will find the impressive Great Hall dominated by a large , medieval, fireplace complete with carved stonework and 9ft stone mantelpiece. This is an excellent space for entertaining with ample space for seating, dining and dancing. All bedroom accommodation is situated on the second floor, which is reached via a spiral staircase. The bedrooms are all furnished with antique or period furniture.
- Jacobean Room – 4 poster bed with fold out single;Victorian Room – double bed with en suite and single bed;Edwardian Room- double bed shared bathroom with twin;Twin Room – 2 x single beds shared bathroom with Edwardian bedroom
Further details outdoors:
Guests staying at the Castle can enjoy the magnificent gardens complete with ponds, rowing boat, ducks, sculptures and delightful planting of beech tunnels, wisteria walks and even a Hobbit House, and Wendy play-house! Neither of the properties is suitable for the less mobile tenant and the spiral stairs are steep. Young children should be supervised both on the stairs and in the garden where the water features are not fenced off.
As well as access to the delightful gardens you have use of a pretty sheltered seating area within the courtyard where you can enjoy a cup of coffee and soak up the history
Fabulous medieval castle, manor house and tower central to Edinburgh, Stirling & Glasgow.
Centrally located close to M9 and only ten minutes from main rail network, this medieval castle is only 30 minutes from the centre of Edinburgh and Glasgow. 10 minutes from Stirling the gateway to the Highlands.