The Royal Chelsea Flower Show is taking place between the 24th and the 28th of May 2011 at the Royal Hospital in Chelsea. This year’s festival will again prove to be a huge success, and all tickets are now sold out unless you purchase on line. Fortunately, I bought my tickets weeks ago along with booking my accommodation in a lovely apartment not too far away from the venue of the Flower Show.
I absolutely love going to this event and look forward to it with lots of planning. This year we are going as a family for a break to the city and have booked a smashing apartment in the centre of London with easy access to the venue. We will be attending the Flower Show during the day and we have the theatre booked for one night and a trip up the Thames another.
Some general tips that I would advise you take when attending The Chelsea Flower show event are:
- Make sure that you wear sensible shoes! With so much walking around you really do need to take care of those feet – so no high heels for this event ladies!
- Arrive in good time to get to see those stands that really interest you. This event is one of the highlights of the year and large crowds can make it difficult for you to really enjoy your most anticipated exhibition.
- Make sure that you take a pen and notebook to collect website addresses and names of plants and flowers so in the comfort of your own home you can make purchases of those that you fell in love with and have them delivered to your door.
- Don’t forget the show catalogue – this will provide you with a map which is essential to find those stands that you are really looking for!
- A camera might be a good idea – take pictures of the flowers and their labels so when you get home you can take a good look at those that you will want to see in your garden next year.
- With regards to finding a place to stay, the more people you get involved the better as this makes booking accommodation more cost effective. It also means that you are guaranteed to have a good time with friends and family!
With so many properties to choose from, why not turn this trip in to a family outing?
There are so many attractions that will entertain the kids this summer in and around London, with free attractions ranging from Borough Market to the British Museum. For more brilliant free attractions in London have a look at this article from Lonely Planet: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/england/london/travel-tips-and-articles/76482
The last day of the Flower Show is brilliant as they sell off the plants and flowers at the end of the day and you could go home with some bargains and unusual plants for the garden. This summer we are hoping to continue the good weather we have had so far in April and May so what better way to enjoy a BBQ in the garden than with some of your purchases from the show.
If you are going to the Chelsea Flower Show then we would love to hear about it. Our facebook and twitter pages are constantly being updated with news on events and self-catering accommodation in the UK so make sure you follow us!
This entry was posted on Sunday, May 15th, 2011 at 9:23 am and is filed under Entertaining the Kids..., Event & Holiday Locations, Events We love.., Exhibitions and Shows..., For Those Special Occasions..., Our Favourite Places to Stay.... You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.